Mainstreaming and Capacity Building for Sustainable Land Management in Belize
What is the project about
Working in tandem with other planned initiatives, this project will strengthen coordination between the various natural resource management Ministries / agencies / stakeholders through improved information management and the development of information sharing policies allowing for a more integrated approach to land resource management. Through the implementation of small pilot initiatives in the areas of agriculture, land mining and integrated landscape management, best practices for reduction of land degradation and the rehabilitation of degraded lands will be demonstrated and documented for promulgation and promotion by the various managing entities. These best practices once demonstrated will form the basis of development policies within the Government’s SLM framework.
What have we accomplished so far
Project achievements include among other things:
- Identification of a Project Manager to assume full responsibility of project activities.
- Completion of training manuals from agricultural pilot. These are good agricultural practices, integrated farming systems, soil conservation and slope management.
- Building institutional capacity within Government Departments (Forest, Lands, Meteorology, Police, Department of the Environment, Department of Geology and Petroleum) Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries in various disciplines such as Geographic Information Systems, Soil Conservation and Slope Management for effective Natural Resource Management.
- In collaboration with the Agricultural Enterprise Development Project, through the implementation of the agricultural pilot capacity building training, approximately 200 local stakeholders were trained in various disciplines thus increasing income generation power, including on post harvesting methods, crop cluster, good agricultural practices, integrated farming systems and soil conservation and slope management.
- Development of Information Sharing Protocols on information access, sharing and data standards to inform the national development process.
- Initiating process towards the re-formulation of National Coordination Body of the UNCCD.
- Co-financing from GM and FAO for Medium Term Investment Plan (development of an Integrated Financing Strategy for Sustainable Land Management). Recognition of efforts by the project.
- Initiation of the consultancy to develop Integrated Financing Strategy for Sustainable Land Management in Belize.
Major sources of financing (including all sources providing more than $100,000).
|2008 - 2011
|Global Environment Facility (GEF)||$500,000|
|GEF Agency (UNDP)||$54,200
|Government of Belize||$305,428|
|Total Cost of Project||$1,152,728
Delivery in previous fiscal years
Total delivery up through the most recent year for which UNDP’s financial books have closed.
|Global Environment Facility (GEF); UNDP; Government of Belize; PACT||$153,000|
|Global Environment Facility (GEF); UNDP; Government of Belize; PACT||$122,000|