Gender and Elections Workshop in Belize
The Women’s Issues Network of Belize (WIN-Belize) in collaboration with the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and UN Women is coordinating a 4-day training in Gender and Elections. This training, to be held from February 11th to 14th, will be facilitated by Ms. Julie Ballington, UN Women; Mr. Skye Christensen, BRIDGE Accredited Facilitator; and Ms. Aleida Ferreyra, UNDP.
The training will be using the BRIDGE (Building Resources in Democracy, Governance and Elections) modular professional development program on electoral processes using the most comprehensive curriculum and workshop package available, and designed to be used as a tool within a broader capacity development framework. BRIDGE comprises 24 modules on all aspects of election administration (Electoral Architecture, Electoral Stakeholders and Electoral Operations) and one of these modules is dedicated to “Gender & Elections” (http://bridge-project.org/about-bridge/overview).
The aims of the BRIDGE Gender and Elections modules are:
- Sensitizing electoral administrators about the importance of women’s empowerment and entry points for gender mainstreaming in the electoral process;
- Informing civil society organizations and women’s advocacy groups about strategies to promote women’s participation in electoral processes;
- Providing tools for all participants to critically assess elections from a gender perspective; and
- Offering networking opportunities.
This training is one of the activities under the “Strengthening Women’s Representation in National Leadership in Belize“ project being implemented by WIN-Belize with funding from the United Nations Democracy Fund. It will help to strengthen the capacity of civil society organizations to forge the development of an inclusive, political platform to institutionalize equal and informed participation and leadership of women in national elections and by extension the national political processes.
The workshop opening is to be held:
Date and Time: Monday, February 11, 2013, 9:30 AM – 10 AM
Venue: Chateau Caribbean, Belize City
Participants are representatives from:
- Elected Village and City Councils
- Tertiary Institution (University of Belize)
- Elections & Boundaries Department
- Political parties
- Civil society organizations
- Women's groups
Moderator: Ms. Jay Coombs, Programme Officer, UNDP
Marta Hendrikx | Belmopan | Communications and Executive Associate | UNDP |Tel. +501 822 2688 | Fax: +501 822 3364 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org